NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Project Proposal 2022
The Department of Physics at Carleton University invites applications for NSERC-sponsored student research positions in one of the fields of research conducted in our department:
- Multiscale Monte Carlo simulations for radiation therapy
- Raman spectroscopy and imaging to investigate biomolecular systems
- Volume-of-interest cone beam CT imagine
- Research at the energy frontier with the ATLAS Detector
- SNOLAB - Sudbury Neutrino Observatory Laboratory
- Particle Physics Theory
Some of these awards can be held in conjunction with the IPP Summer Student Fellowship Program: Undergraduate Research Experience at CERN & in Canada. The application deadline for this program is Friday, January 14, 2022.
Students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents, are currently in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th years of an honours physics program, and who have a cumulative average of at least A- are eligible. NSERC will provide return air-fare, where applicable. Normally, the position is for four months. The NSERC awards will be supplemented by researchers at Carleton. The amount of the subsidy has not yet been set but it will be such to give monthly stipends (which include vacation pay and benefits) of at least the following:
Students Completing 2nd year: $2,500.00 per month
Students Completing 3rd year: $2,600.00 per month
Students Completing 4th and 5th years: $2,700.00 per month
Application to the Physics Department USRA programme is a two step procedure:
1) Physics prescreen procedure: You must send an electronic copy of the following documents to Dr. Simon Viel (sviel physics [dot] carleton [dot] ca, please use the subject line "Physics USRA") by Friday January 21, 2022 before 5:00 p.m.
- a) NSERC Form 202 Part I and transcript:
- b) Other documents:
- a resume
- an ordered preference list of research projects (as listed above). Wherever possible, we will try to assign you to your top choice of project.
- calculated CGPA.
If your application can be matched to a potential supervisor, you will be contacted by February 15, 2022. This potential supervisor will fill out online the form 202 Part II and send you a copy (which is needed for the second step of the application procedure).
2) Application to the Faculty of Science: the deadline for submission of the completed application package is TBA. This should only be done after you have heard the result of the Physics prescreen.
For further information, contact: Dr. Simon Viel (sviel physics [dot] carleton [dot] ca)