Dr. David W.O. Rogers
About Dr. David W.O. Rogers
Development of Monte Carlo codes for radiotherapy, in particular the BEAMnrc code which simulates radiotherapy accelerators and 60Co units, the DOSXYZnrc code which calculates the dose in a patient based on CT information and the BrachyDose code which models brachytherapy applied in for prostate, breast and eye-plaque treatments.
Development of general purpose codes for simulating transport of electrons and photons in arbitrary geometries. The EGSnrc code, an improved version of the EGS4 code, was released in May 2000 and is updated annually in collaboration with NRC. Careful benchmarks against measured data are carried out.
Application of Monte Carlo techniques to calculate correction factors required for primary radiation standards and dosimetry protocols.
Studies of fundamental physics related to dosimeters such as ion chambers and diode dosimeters. Recent experimental and computational work showed that the standard pressure-temperature correction does not work for x-ray beam dosimetry.
Simulation studies of off-focal radiation from x-ray tubes and improved efficiency of x-ray tube simulations.
Spearheaded the development of the AAPM's TG-51 protocol for external beam radiotherapy reference dosimetry.
- Thomson RM, Rogers DWO. Re-evaluation of the product of (W/e)air and the graphite to air stopping-power ratio for 60Co air kerma standards. Phys Med Biol. 2010 Jul 7;55(13):3577-95. Epub 2010 Jun 4.
- Thomson RM, Furutani KM, Pulido JS, Stafford SL, Rogers DWO. Modified COMS plaques for 125I and 103Pd iris melanoma brachytherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Nov 15;78(4):1261-9. Epub 2010 May 14.
- Sutherland JG, Rogers DWO. Monte Carlo calculated absorbed-dose energy dependence of EBT and EBT2 film. Med Phys. 2010 Mar;37(3):1110-6.
- Wang LL, Rogers DWO. Replacement correction factors for plane-parallel ion chambers in electron beams. Med Phys. 2010 Feb;37(2):461-5.
- Thomson RM, Rogers DWO. Monte Carlo dosimetry for 125I and 103Pd eye plaque brachytherapy with various seed models. Med Phys. 2010 Jan;37(1):368-76.
- Wang LL, Rogers DWO. Replacement correction factors for cylindrical ion chambers in electron beams. Med Phys. 2009 Oct;36(10):4600-8.
- Wang LL, Rogers DWO. Study of the effective point of measurement for ion chambers in electron beams by Monte Carlo simulation. Med Phys. 2009 Jun;36(6):2034-42.
- Wang LL, Rogers DWO. The replacement correction factors for cylindrical chambers in high-energy photon beams. Phys Med Biol. 2009 Mar 21;54(6):1609-20. Epub 2009 Feb 19.
- R.E.P.Taylor, G.Yegin, and D.W. O. Rogers,"Benchmarking BrachyDose: voxel-based EGSnrc Monte Carlo calculations of TG--43 dosimetry parameters", Med. Phys. 34, 445-457 (2007).
- E.S.M. Ali and D.W.O. Rogers, "Efficiency improvements of x-ray simulations in EGSnrc user-codes using Bremsstrahlung Cross Section Enhancement (BCSE)", Med. Phys. 34, 2143-2154 (2007).
- D.J. La Russa, M. McEwen, and D.W.O. Rogers, "An experimental and computational investigation of the standard temperature-pressure correction factor for ion chambers in kilovoltage x rays", Med. Phys. 34, 4690-4699 (2007).
- I.J. Chetty, B. Curran, J. Cygler, J.J. DeMarco, G. Ezzell, B.A. Faddegon, I. Kawrakow, P.J. Keall, H. Liu, C.M. C. Ma, D.W.O. Rogers, J. Seuntjens, D. Sheikh-Bagheri, and J.V. Siebers, "Report of the AAPM Task Group No. 105: Issues associated with clinical implementation of Monte Carlo-based photon and electron external beam treatment planning", Med. Phys. 34, 4818-4853 (2007).
- L.L.W. Wang and D.W.O. Rogers, "Monte Carlo Study of Si Diode Response in Electron Beams", Med. Phys. 34, 1734-1742 (2007).
- D. La Russa and D.W.O. Rogers, “An EGSnrc investigation of the Ptp Correction factor for ion chambers in kilovoltage x-rays”,Med hys.,33, 4590-99 (2006).
- E. Mainegra-Hing, D.W.O. Rogers, “On the accuracy of techniques for obtaining the calibration coefficient N(K) of 192Ir HDR brachytherapy sources”, Med Phys, 3,3340-7 (2006).
- L.A. Buckley, D.W.O. Rogers, “Wall correction factors, Pwall, for parallel-plate ionization chambers”, Med Phys., 33, 1788-96 (2006).
- D.W.O. Rogers, “Fifty years of Monte Carlo simulations for medical physics”, Phys Med Biol., 51, R287-301 (2006).
- L.A. Buckley, D.W.O. Rogers, “Wall correction factors, Pwall, for thimble ionization chambers”, Med Phys., 33, 455-64 (2006).
- D.W.O. Rogers, “Scientific citation indices are useful in evaluating medical physicists for promotion and tenure. For the proposition”, Med Phys. 33, 1-2 (2006).
- T.P. Selvam, P.R. Saull, D.W.O. Rogers, “Monte Carlo modeling of the response of NRC's 90Sr/90Y primary beta standard”, Med Phys. 32, 3084-94 (2005).
- Thomas S.D., Mackenzie M., D.W.O. Rogers, Fallone B.G., “A Monte Carlo derived TG-51 equivalent calibration for helical tomotherapy”, Med Phys. 32, 1346-53(2005).
- E. Mainegra-Hing, D.W.O. Rogers, I. Kawrakow, “Calculation of photon energy deposition kernels and electron dose point kernels in water”, Med Phys. 32, 685-99 (2005).
- G.G. Zeng, M.R. McEwen, D.W.O. Rogers, N.V. Klassen, “An experimental and Monte Carlo investigation of the energy dependence of alanine/EPR dosimetry: II. Clinical electron beams”, Phys Med Biol. 50, 1119-29(2005).
- D. Sheikh-Bagheri, I. Kawrakow, B. Walters, and D. W. O. Rogers, Monte Carlo simulations: efficiency improvement techniques and statistical considerations, in Proc of AAPM 2006 Summer School: Integrating New Technologies into the Clinic: Monte Carlo and Image-Guided Radiation Therapy, edited by B. H. Curran, J. E. Balter, and I. J. Chetty, pages 71 -- 91, Medical Physics Publishing, Madison, WI(2006).