NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Project Proposal 2017
The Department of Physics at Carleton University invites applications for NSERC-sponsored student research positions in one of the fields of research conducted in our department:
Some of these awards can be held in conjunction with the CERN Summer Undergraduate Research Experience; see http://www.ipp.ca/programs/CERN_summer.shtml for details and application instructions. Review of the CERN applications will begin on date January 13, 2017 and you must have your applications in before then.
Students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents, are currently in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th years of an honours physics program, and who have a cumulative average of at least A- are eligible. NSERC will provide return air-fare, where applicable. Normally, the position is for four months. The NSERC awards will be supplemented by researchers at Carleton. The amount of the subsidy has not yet been set but it will be such to give monthly stipends (which include vacation pay and benefits) of at least the following:
Students Completing 2nd year: $2,500.00 per month
Students Completing 3rd year: $2,600.00 per month
Students Completing 4th and 5th years: $2,700.00 per month
Application to the Physics Department USRA programme is a two step procedure:
1) Physics prescreen procedure: You must send an electronic copy of the following documents to Dr. Kevin Graham (kevin_grahamcarleton [dot] ca please use subject Physics USRA) by Friday January 20, 2017 before 5:00 p.m.
- a) NSERC Form 202 Part I and transcript:
- Create an NSERC online portfolio here
- Create a form 202 from the drop down menu, and follow the instructions here (You need to fill out Part I of form 202).
- Upload a PDF of official transcripts to the NSERC website.
- b) Other documents:
- a resume
- an ordered preference list of research projects (as listed above). Wherever possible, we will try to assign you to your top choice of project.
- calculated CGPA.
If your application can be matched to a potential supervisor, you will be contacted by January 31, 2017. This potential supervisor will fill out online the form 202 Part II and send you a copy (which is needed for the second step of the application procedure).
2) Application to the Faculty of Science: the deadline for submission of the completed application package is February 15, 2017. This should only be done after you have heard the result of the Physics prescreen.
For further information, contact: Dr. Kevin Graham (kevin_grahamcarleton [dot] ca)