Dr. Costel Flueraru
About Dr. Costel Flueraru
Imaging Devices Group - National Research Council of Canada 1200 Montreal Rd
Biomedical optics uses advanced optical methods to investigate the interaction between light (usually visible and near infrared) and tissue with a focus on imaging (diagnostics, monitoring) and treatment (photodynamic therapy). Optical tomography is part of biomedical optics, and it creates volumetric images of an object by reconstructing images from light transmitted and scattered measurements. There are two approaches widely investigated: optical coherence tomography and diffuse optical tomography. Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) uses ballistics photons and provides high resolution cross-sectional images of the internal microstructure of biological/medical systems. Limited penetration depth of the OCT system in the range of a few millimeters is compensated by a few micrometers image resolution, which is one order of magnitude higher than ultrasound imaging resolution. Spectroscopic OCT is an extension of conventional OCT which combines morphological and spectroscopic imaging. My research focuses on developing advanced spectroscopic OCT methods for clinical applications.
Current Research Funding:
NRC Genomics and Health Initiative Program $120,000/3 years (2008-2010).
Funding for students and PDFs available.
- C. Flueraru, D. Popescu, Y. Mao, S. Chang, M Sowa, "Added soft tissue contrast using signal attenuation and the fractal dimension for optical coherence tomography of porcine arterial tissue", Phys Med. Biol. 55, 2317-31, 2010
- Y. Mao, S. Chang, C. Flueraru, " Fiber lenses for ultra-small probes used in optical coherence tomography", J Biomedical Science and Engineering, 3, 27-34, 2010
- Y. Mao, C. Flueraru, S. Sherif, S. Chang, “High performance wavelength-swept laser with mode-locking technique for optical coherence tomography,” Optics Communications, 282, 88–92, 2009
- Y. Mao, S. Sherif, C. Flueraru, S. Chang, “3×3 Mach–Zehnder interferometer with unbalanced differential detection for full-range swept-source optical coherence tomography,” Applied Optics, 47, 2004-2010, 2008
- S. S. Sherif, C. C. Rosa, C. Flueraru, S. Chang, Y. Mao, A. G. Podoleanu, "Statistics of the depth-scan photocurrent in time-domain optical coherence tomography", J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 25, 16-20, 2008
- Y. Mao, S. Chang, S. Sherif, C. Flueraru, Graded-index fiber lens proposed for ultra-small probes used in biomedical imaging, Applied Optics, 46, 24, 5887-5894, 2007
- C. Flueraru, H. Kumazaki, S. Sherif, S. Chang, L. Mao, Quadrature Mach–Zehnder interferometer with application in optical coherence tomography, J Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, 9, 4, L5-8, 2007